Not just another API—Coinkite’s API enables you to build complete crypto-currency systems. Want to move some funds? Of course that’s easy with the Coinkite API. Need to search by public transaction number, link that back to a voucher you made last month? Sure, no problem.
But there’s more, much more: we allow you to remotely control your Coinkite terminals, and make them print receipts with whatever you want on them. Maybe it’s the toppings for a pizza order or your latte’s pre-order with special instructions.
We use the Pubnub platform to send you or your web visitors real-time status updates on pending transactions (via push notification). This allows you to build Bitcoin invoices that respond to being paid: you can unlock the content or provide the digital goods right away, or at least thank your new customer for sending a bitcoin transaction. In fact, all your account activity can be pushed to your browser or server backend if desired. Finally a complete solution to automating payment processing for crypto-currencies without all the hard stuff like hosting super-sensitive P2P clients.
At the end of the day, there are other ways to do many of these things, but the reason many already choose Coinkite, is because of our HSM technology. Your funds on Coinkite are secure and yet fully liquid at the same time. You can send and receive funds immediately, with no limits using the API. Plus, you always have the option of using our simple web interface for admin functions or rarely-used features.
What’s Possible with the API?
- View account balances, transactions and search by transaction hash.
- Send funds, create vouchers, email funds, create new receive addresses quickly.
- Monitor deposits, withdrawals, logins and all other events related to your account via Pubnub push notifications. Pubnub offers free toolkits for 20+ languages and platforms.
- Drive your Coinkite Terminal remotely, causing receipts to be printed at any time.
- Fetch public data about exchange rates and worldwide CK terminal locations.
- Check out the complete specification at our new documentation site: docs.coinkite.com
- Skim our sample programs and examples at Coinkite.com/apps and on Github.com/coinkite. Many of them are live demos and ready to be used, and all come with full source code and BSD license.
- Create your first API key here, and start experimenting!
What can I do with it? Live Examples and Sample Code
You can view all of our demos and language-specific toolkits in our “App Gallery" on Coinkite.
- The API includes everything needed to make a Bitcoin ATM (which we prefer to consider a crypto-currency vending machine). We made a complete example in AngularJS which you can use either in a demo mode, or by putting in your own Coinkite API key, as a working system.
- We didn’t forget your favorite API starting point: curl. We’ve made a little helper program to make curl really easy to use with our authentication steps:
Security, Security, Security
We’ve given lots of thought to security (as always), so API access is of course locked out by default, and you must create API keys explicitly and each key can be limited in some really powerful and useful ways:
- by function (capability): you control if a key can read data and do nothing else. Other keys might allow authorizing sending out funds, or maybe you only do that manually, and never give that permission to the API.
- by amount (specified in any currency): you can limit the amount sent out of your account to a specific number of dollars (or BTC, etc) per one-hour period. This is a great “safety fuse” to avoid those really bad days.
- by sub-account (any subset). You can limit a key to work only on a few specific sub-accounts (ie. perhaps “chequing” but not “savings”). Limited keys like this can’t even see transactions on the other accounts.
- by IP address range (CIDR or specific IP’s). You might not need the whole entire Internet to access your account, so why not limit it to your static IP address or your ISP’s netblock, etc.
We are going to be aggressively expanding our API to support our customers who are building their businesses on our platform. Already on our API roadmap:
- More terminal control: allow some “take over” of the terminal so that the QR scanner, magstripe reader, and keypad can be leveraged for your applications. More receipt rendering options.
- Send funds by SMS message (will launch in web UI at same time as API)
- Enhanced event hooks.
- Typically new Coinkite features will be accessible via API at feature launch time.
As always, we are looking for feedback (email@example.com). Please let us know what you are working on, what we can do to help and what we can do differently!
CoinTelegraph: Coinkite Launches ‘Game-Changing’ API